Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Gamer IDs

Steam ID: themotleybrit

[WIP] List of games and companies that allow monetization on Let's Play

Yes, they are out there! Now a lot of free games do by virtue of being released under permissive licenses, but "professionally released games" have this tendency to have EULA's that forbid commercial usages like youtube monetization.

But not all of them. So, I think it'd be a good idea to somewhere maintain a list of companies/games which explicitly permit this practice. These are games which you can record and upload yourself playing and even monetize without fear of being taken down or suffering claims of copyright infringement.

I'm putting together such a list. So here is the list as it grows (I'll also host it on my website once I've done some more work on it):

Google Spreadsheets:

If you find or know of any more companies, please either fill in this Google Form or post here please (or PM me or something) because like I said, list goes on website, be available for whole world

If any of this information is out of date, likewise post it here or use the Google Form for informing me out of date information.

And yes, I am aware just doing a Let's Play will typically fly "under the radar" and not get you done for copyright or anything because hey, companies like the advertising. But that's only true if you aren't monetizing the content.

If you are, companies can be a bit skitty. Big time content providers like the Yogscast, Totalbiscuit and Jesse Cox have partnered with The Gamestation who do the negotiating and claiming of permissions to allow them to monetize content. Small fish who aren't with such people, not so lucky. Hence this list, to give people some awareness of who likes the little fish.
    Last edited by TheMotleyBrit; 17th February 2013 at 12:56.

Another to add to the list (most likely)

I do Let's Plays on YouTube myself, and I have received an e-mail directly from Deep Silver for Risen 2: Dark Waters, in which they state:

"You have Deep Silver's permission to use Risen 2 game play footage in your YouTube videos. You also have our permission to monotize the videos through YouTubes advertising program. We prohibit charging users to view the video or the sale of the video."

I read this to mean that, most likely, all of their games carry this same permission ("We prohibit charging users to view the video or the sale of the video."). However, I make it a habit to always send an e-mail for each game, requesting permission, unless it is expressly stated on their site that Let's Plays (or the YouTube partner program) are permissible. I think that's probably a safe bet.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotleyBrit View Post
    Yes, they are out there! Now a lot of free games do by virtue of being released under permissive licenses, but "professionally released games" have this tendency to have EULA's that forbid commercial usages like youtube monetization.

But not all of them. So, I think it'd be a good idea to somewhere maintain a list of companies/games which explicitly permit this practice. These are games which you can record and upload yourself playing and even monetize without fear of being taken down or suffering claims of copyright infringement.

I'm putting together such a list. So here is the list as it grows (I'll also host it on my website once I've done some more work on it):

Company: Paradox Interactive
    "We permit third-party use and monetization of things like "Let's Play" Videos under the restriction that it is clear that Paradox Interactive is the copyright holder of any material shown."
    Source (See About Paradox Interactive): http://www.youtube.com/user/Paradoxplaza

Company: Mojang
    "You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun."
    Source: https://account.mojang.com/terms

Company: Blizzard Entertainment
    "The only exceptions to this rule are if you participate in partner programs with YouTube, Justin.tv, Blip.tv, Own3d.tv, or Ustream.tv (the �Production Websites�) whereby a Production Website may pay you for views of a Production if you are accepted into their partner program."
    Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company...deopolicy.html

Game: Towns (by SMP)
    "Can i make videos of me or anyone else playing Towns, upload and spread the video on the internet and make profits from it?
    Sure, as long you put a link to our webpage in it!"
    Source: http://www.townsgame.com/index.php?o...=192&Itemid=17

Game: Mount & Blade (by TaleWorlds Entertainment)
    "We have decided to make an exception and allow users to take advantage of advertisement revenue based on Mount and Blade videos."
    Source: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=226904.0

If you find or know of any more companies, post here please (or PM me or something) because like I said, list goes on website, be available for whole world

And yes, I am aware just doing a Let's Play will typically fly "under the radar" and not get you done for copyright or anything because hey, companies like the advertising. But that's only true if you aren't monetizing the content.

If you are, companies can be a bit skitty. Big time content providers like the Yogscast, Totalbiscuit and Jesse Cox have partnered with The Gamestation who do the negotiating and claiming of permissions to allow them to monetize content. Small fish who aren't with such people, not so lucky. Hence this list, to give people some awareness of who likes the little fish.

Also, Tripwire interactive (Responsible for games: Killing Floor, Red Orchestra Series) let you monetize their video game footage too

Monetization Permissions:
    This applies to the following websites/services at this time (and ONLY these services):
    Youtube
    Justin.tv
    Blip.tv
    Own3d.tv
    Ustream.tv
    We are happy for anyone to use recorded video material from our games as long as the video is somehow related to the game(s) in question (e.g. review, preview, a Let’s Play, or some other similar type), is recorded at a decent resolution and credits the game. We are also happy for anyone to use music from the games in connection with videos related to our games. However music used outside of videos of our games is not allowed unless specific permission is requested.
    Source: http://www.tripwireinteractive.com/policies/
    Last edited by Unkiejay; 27th July 2012 at 07:12.
    || Unkie Gaming || Gaming News & Reviews
    www.unkiegaming.com / www.youtube.com/Unkiejay

Bohemia Interactive, makers of ArmA 2, grant explicit permission to monetize videos if you follow these steps.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...rship-Program)

Riot Games, developers of League of Legends, allow for monetization: http://www.riotgames.com/company/legal-jibber-jabber

"You may run ads or other revenue streams that don’t interfere with a user’s access to the video, subject to the “No Licensing” guideline below. . . . Generally, you cannot license your videos to any third party for a fee or other value without our approval. However, there are important exceptions: Partner programs with YouTube or the following streaming websites: own3D.tv, Ustream.tv,Twitch.tv, Justin.tv, Blip.tv (no prior permission from us required)."

Subset Games
    , creators of FTL: Faster than Light, have a completely open policy: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=388
    "We, Subset Games, hereby declare that all YouTube users have our permission to run advertisements for the purpose of monetization on their videos of our game, FTL: Faster Than Light. . . . This also applies to other video services besides YouTube, such as, but not limited to, Twitch.tv."

Edmund McMillen
    , creator of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac, has said in the past that users are free to do LP's of his games in a response to a question on Formspring. I can't seem to find the response since Formspring only lets me go back so far in time without a link. I've sent him a request to post the information on his personal website at www.edmundm.com so I'll update this post if I hear back from him.

Great idea by the way, this is exactly the kind of resource I was looking for. Even "small fries" deserve to some pocket change from their content until they're able to get rights on a more reliable basis.

Squad creators of Kerbal Space Program say in their FAQ
    I UPLOADED A GAMEPLAY VIDEO TO YOUTUBE, IS IT OKAY FOR ME TO MONETIZE IT?

Yes, by all means. If you are having many views and want to seize the opportunity, go ahead. We just ask to be given credit, a mention and a link to our website is enough. You must also make it perfectly clear that we are the copyright holders of KSP.

so put at the end of the description of your video
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com

"Kerbal Space Program © 2012 Squad"

Also another question what is Valve's stance on this?
    Last edited by Icildor; 3rd February 2013 at 18:21. Reason: Double Post.

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: themotleybrit
    Hmm, come back and this has some posts! Incredible xD I've updated the list and my personal document (which I still have floating around). Really should get back on this idea ^^

Blog Entries
    EA's policy on monetization
    You can monetise some games. But some may be removed due to copyright infringement. Unfortunately I have not been given any details on the games you can monetise.

Ronimo allows Awesomenauts.

Company: Ronimo (Awesomenauts)
    "We've also been getting tons of requests for allowing Youtube monetization for Awesomenauts footage, and we'd hereby like to announce that we are ok with that. In fact we are super excited to see more footage of Awesomenauts! Bring it!"
    Source: August 10, 2012 news post (1.2 Patch release) http://www.awesomenauts.com/old_01.html

Edit:
    Yogventures! I'm surprised nobody suggested it already, but perhaps that's because it's not out yet, and the wording is slightly ambiguous because it doesn't specifically mention monetization. But it does say "completely open" (emphasis mine), and I believe the intent is to allow this. Anyone seen clarification? I haven't had a chance to hunt around in the backer forums.

Source: Kickstarter FAQ (question updated October 6th)http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...es/yogventures

"Yogventures! will be completely open for players to publish gameplay footage. We will also be asking players to send us links to their videos so we can feature the best ones and share them with the wider community!

Mojang's terms have been expanded since the original comment. They are still at the URL above.

One idea I had was for someone to create a web badge thingy for game publishers to easily signify their support (which they could use to link to their specific terms)
    Last edited by Aetherdyne; 8th December 2012 at 02:40. Reason: Formatting, because forums are doing weird things with my EOL

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/support

Youtube Permission
    Hey there Youtubers and Youtuber Partners,
    We would love to have you put up videos of our game, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and are more than happy to have you doing this whether you are a youtube partner or not. So you have my explicit permission to put up videos of our game on youtube and are free to have ads running before them.

Thanks and look forward to your videos,

Steve Piggott,
    President, Torn Banner Studios
    www.ChivalrytheGame.com