Eu -> MJ conversion question

Hey, guys. I'm digging my way through this pack at the moment, and it's amazing. Currently running TechnicPack v4.4.0 in MC Beta 1.8.1. (There are no other mos installed except what came in that pack.) I know BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft 2 use different types of energy to power their stuff, but I wanted to have a solar powered quarry (because of course I do), and didn't know if there was a way to convert the EUs from the Solar array to MJs to use at the quarry.

I did some looking around, and I saw
    this page in the Technic Pack wiki. I don't know if any of the recipes on the page work for my setup, but the one that I need doesn't. Are there any other ways to make that conversion that anyone else has seen? Am I missing part of the mod? Or should I just abandon the idea entirely and use solar power on something else? I wanted to try and integrate everything to avoid having this area be BuildCraft stuff and that area be IndustrialCraft 2 stuff... Please help me out.

Just to see if I understand, here's a summary in spoiler brackets:

Okay, so the Technic Pack has two big mods in it -- BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft2. Whoever made the Technic Pack did a pretty good job of bridging gaps between the two. If you use a quarry (BC), you can have the items taken to a macerator (IC) via BuildCraft's pipes, and vice versa. However, both mods have their own energy and power generators, so there's some overlap that confuses things a bit. BuildCraft's power comes in MJs, or Minecraft Joules, while IndustrialCraft2 uses EUs, or Electrical Units (I assume). You can't use EUs to power Quarries and you can't use MJs to power Macerators. There are supposed to be a few ways of converting MJs to EUs, but there's only one way to convert back, as far as I know. And for whatever reason, that recipe doesn't work. I thought I had everything up to the most recent version, and I'm using 1.8.1. So, in short, I can't use my Solar array to power my quarries because I can't convert the Solar Panels' EUs to the MJ format for the quarry. (The only effect Redstone has in either case is to turn things OFF in both instances so you can make redstone kill switches for giant contraptions without them getting in the way of anything else, which is where the RedPower mod comes in--it's very helpful with making very intricate and compact redstone circuits, but doesn't do much to either BC or IC2).

Thanks a ton, guys.

-Rephe
    --Rephe

"I saw the Darkness, and I embraced it." - Honeydew
    "Shit. We swear way too fucking much. Tits." - Xephos

Quote Originally Posted by Rephe View Post
    Hey, guys. I'm digging my way through this pack at the moment, and it's amazing. Currently running TechnicPack v4.4.0 in MC Beta 1.8.1. (There are no other mos installed except what came in that pack.) I know BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft 2 use different types of energy to power their stuff, but I wanted to have a solar powered quarry (because of course I do), and didn't know if there was a way to convert the EUs from the Solar array to MJs to use at the quarry.

I did some looking around, and I saw this page in the Technic Pack wiki. I don't know if any of the recipes on the page work for my setup, but the one that I need doesn't. Are there any other ways to make that conversion that anyone else has seen? Am I missing part of the mod? Or should I just abandon the idea entirely and use solar power on something else? I wanted to try and integrate everything to avoid having this area be BuildCraft stuff and that area be IndustrialCraft 2 stuff... Please help me out.

Just to see if I understand, here's a summary in spoiler brackets:

Okay, so the Technic Pack has two big mods in it -- BuildCraft and IndustrialCraft2. Whoever made the Technic Pack did a pretty good job of bridging gaps between the two. If you use a quarry (BC), you can have the items taken to a macerator (IC) via BuildCraft's pipes, and vice versa. However, both mods have their own energy and power generators, so there's some overlap that confuses things a bit. BuildCraft's power comes in MJs, or Minecraft Joules, while IndustrialCraft2 uses EUs, or Electrical Units (I assume). You can't use EUs to power Quarries and you can't use MJs to power Macerators. There are supposed to be a few ways of converting MJs to EUs, but there's only one way to convert back, as far as I know. And for whatever reason, that recipe doesn't work. I thought I had everything up to the most recent version, and I'm using 1.8.1. So, in short, I can't use my Solar array to power my quarries because I can't convert the Solar Panels' EUs to the MJ format for the quarry. (The only effect Redstone has in either case is to turn things OFF in both instances so you can make redstone kill switches for giant contraptions without them getting in the way of anything else, which is where the RedPower mod comes in--it's very helpful with making very intricate and compact redstone circuits, but doesn't do much to either BC or IC2).

Thanks a ton, guys.

-Rephe
    Haha, check out technicpack.net There is a link to this thread. Now currently, the unofficial version is 4.5.0, I am currently bug-squishing block ID errors in an update which should be done within 3 hours. It will be 4.5.3. Hopefully it will be fully compatible with 4.4.0 (should be!) but nevertheless, I highly advise you to backup your saves etc. Using the instructions provided in the first post.

Oh yeah, and it includes the conversion mod for those recipes.
    Last edited by LukeHandle; 26th November 2011 at 00:04.
    If I helped, please use the thanks button!
    17 years old.

Wink

^ Okay, well, I wasn't sure about 4.5.0. It was described as 'unstable' so I didn't want to try it. But hey--if you're going to be done with it in a few hours, I'll be all over it! Thank you so very much!
    Um...
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeHandle View Post
    Just incase this possibly unstable unofficial Technic build breaks your current setup! I stress that it is unlikely, but just be aware
    As of this edit now, 500 downloads
    I don't describe it as unstable, just possibly

Now at 988 downloads! So still very popular! I should improve the thread and make it clearer etc. But I'm lazy, doing other stuff
    17 years old.

Oh, I see. I'm sorry for doubting you--I just didn't know how well it had come out being all 'unofficial' and 'possibly unstable'. Haha.
    I can't see this happening tonight. Will give it another go in about 14 hours. Good Night.
    17 years old.

If you update to 4.5.0 (or manually update the mods like I did), then the powerconverters mod has the ability to do this using the Energy link. Essentially, you'll store your solar energy in a Batbox/MFE/MFSU and then have an EnergyLink connected to it via cable, and then connect that to your Quarry via BC power pipes. It does the conversion with a 10% loss (due to a BC bug, apparently).

Quarries powered this way run *super* fast, as long as you have the power to maintain it. Solar arrays don't produce near enough power to run them efficiently, unless you have a friggin' lot of them.

The best way I've found to do it is using the GeoThermal generator Mk2 (also in the power convertors mod). You craft this by making a normal Geothermal generator (see http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/ind...rmal_Generator) then combining it with a single tank from buildcraft. You can pipe lava into this, and it pumps out the EU at high speed.

An easy way to do this is in a simple configuration above a big lava source. I look around for a ravine or something that has a lot of lava at the bottom of it. Above this I place a BC pump. Attached to that pump, I put a single gold liquid pipe. Attached to that, at a right angle, I place a Geothermal Gen Mk2. And then in the fourth corner, I place a single energy link. When you prime the pump using a redstone generator, it will pump the lava out the pipe and into the geothermal generator. The power from this goes through the energy link and in turn powers the pump. Once it's running, you can remove the redstone generator and it's self sustaining. To get the power from it, you just run a wire from the generator to a Batbox/MFE/MFSU and voila, free power until the lava runs out. Note that it makes a TON of power, so an MFSU is recommended.

This isn't enough to power a quarry fully forever though, however you can mod this a bit to make it possible. What you do is to add two more Geothermal generators, and extend the pipe to touch them all. Then add wire to connect all three to the MFSU. Three of these will fully power a quarry at maximum speed, with about 10 extra EU left over per tic (ignoring loss through wire/pipes).