Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... Last

current status of yogventures

as this news is quickly going to spread out of the backer section, and there are people who purchased this game that don't have access to that area of the forum, i will post winterkewl's quote here. please take some time to read it, and keep all responses civil.

i have merged and closed all threads questioning the current status of the game, as this is the answer we have been asking for. as this is in the yogscast's hands now, we will have to wait for their decision on the future of the game. you can use this thread to comment on what may be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by winterkewl View Post
    Hi everyone,

I can't make any official statements about Yogventures or what is going to happen in the future, but I may be able to shed a little light on what happened to myself and Winterkewl Games.

For all official information please contact The Yogscast at

[email protected]

The Yogscast have been given full ownership of all things Yogventures including all work that's been done up to this point, code, art, project files etc.

For now, I will dispel what I can of the rumor mill though some details are unfortunately going to have to wait for official word from The Yogscast themselves.

So, no one in my family died. I didn't die. My company Winterkewl Games will unfortunately, probably need to go out of business and possibly file for bankruptcy if things get much worse though.

Working on Yogventures was an amazing experience and everyone at Winterkewl Games really wanted to achieve the very lofty goals the game set out to do, but lack of experience in planning and managing a project of this scope proved too much for our little team. As you know we had a total of 6 people working on the project, Winterkewl Games was started to make Yogventures and while every member of the team worked tirelessly to make that a reality, in the end there was simply too much work to do on our own. After the Yogscast have made an official announcement regarding their future plans for the game we will put out a detailed spreadsheet showing where all the funds from the Kickstarter were spent as well as the amounts that I personally invested once those funds ran out.

We always knew that we were going to need to partially fund development ourselves so the lost money is not in any way regretable, however without pre-orders to help offset those costs, eventually, after I had invested innumerable hours and over $25,000.00 of my own money in the game, we had to admit that without more funding we couldn't afford to keep the game going on our own.

I can't speak for the Yogscast and I make no claims that I do, for their own reasons they decided the game wasn't up to the quality they needed it to be to make videos supporting our pre-order business model. That was and is their prerogative and we had no way of influencing that decision other than making the game as best we could with what we had to work with. As I said, we missed milestone after milestone and continued to come up short of the quality expectations and thus the Yogscast didn't want to advertise the pre-orders until it did meet those expectations.

I tried to cut all costs and continue the development even after the heavy losses of 2013 but the stress of trying to work full time and be full time on the game ultimately caused me to ruin my relationship with my wife, and she filed for divorce because I was so obsessed with finishing this game that she couldn't take not seeing me anymore. When the divorce began I suffered a bit of a crisis personally and had to take a medical leave of absence from work. I almost lost my job too.

I'm deeply sorry that despite our best efforts we never reached a level of play-ability that inspired enough confidence from not only the community but even the Yogscast themselves. This is my fault, I agreed to every feature request we got because I didn't want to lose the opportunity. I wanted so badly to make this project a reality I ignored the real-world risks to the point that I almost lost everything and worst of all I let you all down.

I wish more than anything I would have had this fore-knowledge before we ever began this project. If we would have limited the scope and made a solid plan for working more closely with the Yogscast I have every faith this project would have been a real stand-out achievement in the Indie Game world. However, if you promise the world and don't take into account the amount of time and resources you really need to make good on those promises you find yourself in a position where you can't move forward without more funds but you can't generate more funds without moving forward. That's what happened and I had to make the call that it's for the good of the project that we at Winterkewl step aside and allow the game to be taken over by a larger team. That's why we have turned everything over to the Yogscast. With their resources and connections in the gaming world, I still believe this game could be really great.

As I say though, I no longer speak either for the Yogscast or Yogventures, you'll need to contact them and wait for them to be able to sort out what their own plan going forward will be. They trusted us to be able to handle this development and we let them down just as much as we let you down. That fault is totally my own. I honestly believed everything would go to plan, and to be honest, almost nothing actually did.

I'm very sorry to have disappointed, working for you the backers was the most rewarding thing I've ever attempted, and it's also the only project I've ever attempted that we were un-able to finish. I sincerely hope that the project will live on and that Yogventures will one day be a reality as the Yogscast and this great community have a real opportunity that could be something really great.

Thank you all very much for the support, community, and resources to have attempted such a great project. I'm deeply sorry to have let you all down.
    Last edited by mighty_claw; 4th July 2014 at 18:10.
    got a question? just wanna say hi? pm me!

twitter - forum rules

What a shame. I didn't back the game in the original kickstarter, but when the drive started, I definitely wanted to buy it when it was complete. The version in the Yogs videos looked very promising, but the progress on the game became too slow. I hope that the Yogscast decide to find a bigger dev team to finish the project.

I would like to note that many people are extremely angry, and asking for refunds for the money they used to back the project, which is never a good sign for any kickstarter game. Hopefully the said people can be compensated somehow so that the project can be properly continued.
    "Etch this pain deep into my soul as proof that I lived"

Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuyGoku View Post
    I would like to note that many people are extremely angry, and asking for refunds for the money they used to back the project, which is never a good sign for any kickstarter game. Hopefully the said people can be compensated somehow so that the project can be properly continued.
    i haven't seen this "extreme anger" and demands for money back anywhere. this is probably the least aggressive reaction to a project going down that i've ever seen. you'd have to point out where these comments are being made as it's not on the forum or subreddit.

edit: did see a few subreddit reactions after this got shared there. i would assume that they'd need to wait for the official word from the yogscast before going about being compensated. that is the inherent risk with kickstarter though, and as far as i know as long as the project is continuing, they don't have to refund anyone.
    Last edited by mighty_claw; 5th July 2014 at 03:16.

twitter - forum rules

To Winterkewl's credit, he may have taken on more feature requests from Yogscast than was feasible for this style of game, but he still managed to implement the basis for a voxel engine with sculpted blocks, shadow mapping, physics, and full 3D animated characters. Whether he managed to make it as far as dynamic light sources other than the sky, I don't know, since I don't recall seeing that in any of the Youtube videos, and this would have been a pretty important (and resource-intensive) feature. But to even make it this far was no easy feat.

It's easy for people to look at Minecraft and be unimpressed by its blocky graphics and unrealistic lighting, and you'll often see people complain about or criticize the game or Notch for decisions he made. But Notch is no idiot. Everything from the way light spreads, to the way water flows, to how redstone propagates, to the way chunks are loaded/rendered, is all done in a way to make this dynamic landscape work without bringing your computer to a crawl. And this was not only done in Java, but essentially done from scratch, without all the help that a platform like Unity brings to the table. Minecraft is "simple" because simple on this scale works.

I'm not sure we're at a point yet where all the kinds of things Yogscast seems to want in a game of this type are possible on an average PC, and by a team of just half a dozen folks, short of having a John Carmack on your hands. Just look at the Yogscast Complete Pack; to get everything they wanted in, it's nearly unplayable on a lot of peoples' machines. So props to Winterkewl for trying, at least.

It's not what people want to hear, but I don't think anyone has any real justification for being mad, because this is what pre-release/early access/etc is all about. The possibility of failure was implied from the start. You might read on Kotaku or something every so often about a Kickstarter success story, but they don't write about all the ones that didn't work out. It's just unfortunate that it turned out that way, and had such a personal impact on Winterkewl in the process.

Lewis says:
    there will be an official statement on this in the next few weeks once we get our ducks in a row. do not fret, we have some exciting stuff planned
    My heart goes out to the Winterkewl guys, it seems the development caused a lot of anguish.

I feel really bad for everyone at Winterkewl. They tried their best and it's sad things didn't work out, and I am very VERY grateful of all the things they've done for the Yogscast and Yognau(gh)ts in general. All they (seemed to have) wanted was for people to enjoy the game to its fullest, and they(?) almost lost everything in the process.
    That being said, I think this serves as a bit of a lesson. If you're going to take on a project this big, make sure you plan ahead and truly scope out the scale of the features you wish to add, always making sure you have enough time and funding without letting your project get in the way of life.
    Thank you Winterkewl. Hope everything will get better in the end.
    "The best defense is being offensive" -Ridgedog
    I exist somewhere! - DeviantART

i cant believe my eyes... i was right ?!

and you all said i was mad !

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousSubz View Post
    i cant believe my eyes... i was right ?!

and you all said i was mad !
    no one said you were mad. we told you to wait like everyone else was. considering there had been no updates and everything about his company disappeared, it wasn't hard to make this assumption. all of us were thinking the same thing, we just weren't being so negative about it.

saying you were "right" rather than offering any condolences to kris for not being able to finish his project, and you know, getting a divorce over it, is pretty rude. really not what the point of this thread is. if you're going to gloat, then go away and do it elsewhere. try to stop being so much of a **** all the time.
    Last edited by mighty_claw; 5th July 2014 at 11:10.

twitter - forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_claw View Post
    no one said you were mad. we told you to wait like everyone else was. considering there had been no updates and everything about his company disappeared, it wasn't hard to make this assumption. all of us were thinking the same thing, we just weren't being so negative about it.

saying you were "right" rather than offering any condolences to kris for not being able to finish his project, and you know, getting a divorce over it, is pretty rude. really not what the point of this thread is. if you're going to gloat, then go away and do it elsewhere. try to stop being so much of a **** all the time.

1 the they all said i was mad joke is becuase my avatar is a mad scientist so dont jump the gun again or as per usaul and secondly end of the day this is life and its going to get even harder for him now just wait for the law siuts and more from this. just becuase he apperntly "got a devource" and neraly lost his job doesnt mean people should just forgive him.

the game may be property of the yogscast now but the company winterkwl will more than likly be sued for fraud among other things from kick starters and pre acess buyers which they are fully entitled to. we are all governed by the choices we make. if all this is "true" about his life went bad well its not hard to say its going to get alot worse now.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousSubz View Post
    1 the they all said i was mad joke is becuase my avatar is a mad scientist so dont jump the gun again or as per usaul and secondly end of the day this is life and its going to get even harder for him now just wait for the law siuts and more from this. just becuase he apperntly "got a devource" and neraly lost his job doesnt mean people should just forgive him.

the game may be property of the yogscast now but the company winterkwl will more than likly be sued for fraud among other things from kick starters and pre acess buyers which they are fully entitled to. we are all governed by the choices we make. if all this is "true" about his life went bad well its not hard to say its going to get alot worse now.
    you apparently don't understand how kickstarter, the law, or legal action works. i highly doubt he is going to have to deal with lawsuits. no one that backed this project can afford to take legal action, and as the project has been handed over to the yogscast, it isn't considered to be a dead project. most of the rewards have gone out, and the game is still being developed.

winterkewl hasn't committed any fraud, and kickstarter's terms and conditions does state that backing is at your own risk. if the backers were to sue the only chance they would stand would be via a class action, and even that is difficult and costly. no respectable law firm would touch this with a 50ft pole. they'd probably laugh you out of the building. nothing is going to come of this. this is already a sad situation, and one that kris is sorry for and has more than paid for failing us.
    Last edited by mighty_claw; 5th July 2014 at 13:08.

twitter - forum rules