Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

[1.8+] Mystery of the Time Keeper - Adventure Map

Mystery of the Time Keeper:

A brand new custom adventure-mode map built for the latest Minecraft 1.8+ (currently snapshot versions), designed particularly for 1 or 2 players (small groups are fine).

Uncover what has happened to time itself, help the villagers of the clock tower, complete multiple side-quests while following the main storyline, go on a huge adventure and see amazing sights, solve puzzles, and ultimately become a saviour - or a destroyer - of the people.

Empty chests and no item frames in Maxwell's starter room? Then you've loaded the map up in an old Minecraft (1.7.5 or earlier), or in a Bukkit/Forge server, and you've saved the map out and loaded back in the snapshot. You have now wiped all items from all chests, because of a change in the way Minecraft 1.8 handles item data. You will need to re-download the map and start again. Do not load new 1.8 maps up in 1.7 or older versions of Minecraft.

IMPORTANT: Use the LATEST 1.8 snapshot version - MINIMUM version 14w08a! In Minecraft Launcher, "Edit Profile", tick "Enable experimental development versions", and under "Use Version", select "Use Latest Version" in the dropdown box, or "14w08a" for a minimum version.

Post Index:
    1: Screenshots
    2: Playing Info and Rules
    3: Tips for Lag
    4: MAJOR Spoilers and Help for Puzzles
    5: Download and Install instructions
    6: Map Creators "About"
    7: Changelog Details

1: Screenshots:
    http://i.imgur.com/rYGtOfN.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/B8WMOj1.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/HCRA1UU.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/9j0cMkS.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/rUO9HRn.jpg

2: Playing Info and Rules:
    * Requires Minecraft 1.8+ (latest snapshots).
    * Will NOT work in Minecraft 1.7.5 or earlier!
    * Designed particularly for 1-2 players, but will support small groups!
    * Requires command blocks enabled for servers.
    * Must play in peaceful mode.
    * Must stay in adventure mode (NOT survival or creative!).
    * When you first start the map, have a walk around the spawn room and read some of the signs.
    * Once you step on the pressure pad to start the map, a series of command blocks will set up most of the gamerules for you (eg put you in adventure mode, set map to peaceful mode etc.) - please don't alter any of these settings afterwards, it will cause problems!
    * Please read the books in the starter cave once you start the adventure, they are VERY short. Also take and keep the "Token List" book with you - this will be an invaluable tool in finding the hidden tokens found throughout the map!
    * If the starting pressure pad or button in the starter room do nothing, then you are NOT running the latest un-modded vanilla Minecraft. You must "Edit Profile" in the Minecraft launcher, and choose "Enable Experimental Development Versions (Snapshots)", and select "Use Latest Version" (or "14w08a" for a pretty stable earlier snapshot).

3: Tips For Lag:
    While I can't fix everybody's lag, especially with these latest 1.8 snapshots causing a few problems with lighting and particles, I can provide a few tips that work well for me personally (I can't guarantee these working for anyone else!)
    Launcher Profile Settings:
    * In the Minecraft Launcher, "Edit Profile", and at the bottom tick "JVM Arguments", and in the text box next to that, enter "-Xmx4G" (without quotes), to give Java 4 GB of memory to play with - this helped a LOT for me. If you have a lot less RAM (eg you only have 4 GB total), try set this to "-Xmx2G" instead as my recommended bare minimum. Also, if you have a 64-bit version of Windows (most of us do these days), then you may also want to install the 64-bit version of Java from http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp - it needs a manual install - and check Minecraft is launching with that, not the 32-bit version.
    In-Game Settings:
    * Keep maximum render distance down to 8, and no higher than 10. None of the builds in our map really benefit from seeing further than 10, but above 10 it does cause a lot of extra lag. I personally created the whole map with a distance of 8, Weeble used 10, so those numbers are good. Lower than 8 you will miss a lot, and below 6 may ruin things.
    * Set "Particles" to "Minimal" in Video Settings in-game.
    * Try set "Advanced OpenGL:" to Off - though some people may find setting this On makes things better.
    * Try "Smooth Lighting" at "Off" or "Minimum"
    * And last of all if none of that helps, try set "Graphics:" to "Fast" not Fancy.
    * Note: "Brightness" shouldn't ever affect anything, I personally always have this on brightest for taste.

4: Major Spoilers and Help:
    These are MAJOR spoilers! - only read them if you are REALLY really stuck to the point of frustration, and don't care about the sense of achievement in solving something yourself. Try to only go as deep into the spoilers as you need to, solve what you can yourself!
    Vodka Problems:

Not really a spoiler - but if you find the Sergeant's Vodka, and talk to him, but find he ignores you or doesn't take the vodka from you, then you are using an old Minecraft snapshot (older than 14w08a) - this snapshot version had problems detecting custom items. Simply go into your Minecraft launcher, edit profile, and select "Use latest version" for the version, or anything from 14w08a and newer. You will now be able to continue on! (the vodka is at the back of the ice cave, the cave is about 5 feet away from the entrance of the guard tower, and it doesn't require parkour, just follow the ice cave "path"!)
    Abandoned House/Mayor Quest:

The abandoned house is reached by following the paths within the village. Go west (towards the setting sun) past the guard tower, take a right, and then take a left - following the signs to the "abandoned house". You'll be on a broken gravel path and go past a tall stone monument, follow this path to the house.

You must first enter the basement area - there is a lever on the side of a tree near the "Private Property" sign - pull this lever then go down the side of the house into the basement.

The access code is in the book - "It's so nice to hear things twice" - which word appears twice?

Spell out the word "FEAR" on the levers
    The chest with the House Deeds is inside the house

The chest is above the inside-porch - climb the ladder to the bed, sneak to the edge of the platform, and you can reach the chest, you do not need to jump.
    Captain Steve/War Tunnels:

Steve wants you to find the war tunnels entrance, inside "The Keeper's Cottage". This house is signed, and reached by following the paths west (towards the setting sun) to the side of and behind the tower. Look for signs to "The Keeper's Cottage" and search the house.

There is a button on the wall inside the bedroom, next to the bookcases. Push this button to open the access tunnels, which you still need to find...

Now go into the attic, and to the side of the chimney breast is now an opening, follow the ladder down into the tunnels, and explore them until you are given a message telling you you have now explored enough - you can now talk to Captain Steve to complete the quest.
    Elsa Farm Quest - Find the Cat:

Elsa wants her cat - the last clue she gives is correct "Maybe in the shack over the river behind my farm". Follow the path around the side of her house, across a small bridge, and into the shack - it is all clearly marked with paths. Look in the chest, and look carefully at the name of the item!
    Repair Iron Bridge/Iron Bridge Supports:

Yes, this is parkour. There are 5 double-chests with 1 iron bridge support in each, and you need to get 3 of them. All of them are reached by starting at the area where you climbed the ladder down. The jumps are not as hard as serious "hardcore parkour" maps - use ctrl (default sprint key) for sprinting just before jumping, and then hold shift (default sneak key) just before you land to stop yourself running off the edge as you land. If you find it too hard, TEMPORARILY go into creative mode ("/gamemode c") - if in singleplayer, open the game to LAN and choose "Enable Cheats" from the escape menu to do this. You can then fly around and get the bridge supports. Make sure you go back to ADVENTURE mode afterwards "/gamemode a". Do not go back to survival mode!
    Dockmaster/Boats Chest:

Stand on end of the western (towards the setting sun - if you put your BACK to the dockmaster, this is LEFT) pier (the wooden platform sticking out into the water). Look west (left/towards the sun). Dive into the water and go straight down - SLIGHTLY west is a lit-up entrance to a small underwater cave. The key is in there.

When you reach the 4-way junction in the cave, turn RIGHT (after getting fresh air) - the chest is in that room, with a key inside the chest. Have this key in your hand when you right-click the Dockmaster's chest - take a few spare boats with you incase you crash. You need to sail EAST towards the huge tunnel!
    Trials Floor-Puzzle:

There is a series of pressure pads in a grid in the room. You must follow an EXACT path all the way to the end. If you step on a wrong pad, you'll be teleported back to the start and must start again - though a picture on the far-wall will start mapping out the correct route you've taken so far, to help you "remember". There is also a set of signs on the wall where you first drop down, with the full solution....

Those signs are a series of directions. Eg "4F" means 4 forward. "3R" would mean 3 right. The directions always relate to you facing the eye on the far-wall. Try sneaking while you move to make sure you don't step on the wrong pads by mistake (shift is default sneak key). You could get a friend to read the directions on the signs out for you, or re-type them out in chat so you can refer back to them more easily.
    Final Maze/Nether:

This is a maze, and it is solvable simply by exploring on your own. Be aware that there are stairways leading down into tunnels found at the end of some paths - so be careful not to assume that all paths are dead-ends - some have staircases, some don't, and some lead into lava. If you are really stuck though...

There is a solution - remember back when you first entered the Minster, and went down into the Undercroft Library, there were two signs you pass which say "When Lost In Hell, Seek Guidance From The Heavens" - this is a major clue!

At the start of the Nether Maze, look at the roof - you can make out an arrow-shape, with a nether-quartz-ore tip. Go in the direction of this arrow, and follow the path (always going straight, don't turn off at junctions) - you'll wind your way around, down into a lava tunnel and back up again, until you meet another junction where you must choose left or right. Look at the ceiling again - there is another arrow! Keep following these arrows whenever you reach a left-right junction choice.

5: Download and Install:
    Important: Mystery of the Time Keeper requires the latest Minecraft 1.8+ (currently available as snapshot versions). The map will NOT work with Minecraft 1.7 or earlier. If running on a multiplayer server, you must enable command-blocks, and use the latest 1.8+ vanilla snapshot server files.

Download the map as a .zip from Amazon S3 host here:
    https://azzer-weeble-minecraft.s3.am...TimeKeeper.zip

Windows Singleplayer/LAN:
    1) Download the .zip file onto your desktop (or anywhere you can find it again).
    2) Press your Windows Key + R (letter R together with the windows key in the bottom left of your keyboard), and type in "%appdata%" (with the percentage symbols).
    3) Enter the ".minecraft" folder, and then navigate into the "Saves" folder.
    4) You should now be in a folder similar to: "C:\Users\Your Username\AppData\Roaming\.mine craft\saves\"
    5) Unzip the Time Keeper map zip file you downloaded earlier into a folder called "TimeKeeper", and place this folder into the this "saves" folder.
    6) You will now be able to select the map in Singleplayer mode, and can open up to Lan play from there if you like!

Note:
    If you cannot load the map/it isn't listed, check you didn't double up the folders when unzipping, eg it should be "/saves/TimeKeeper/level.dat" not "/saves/level.dat" or "/saves/TimeKeeper/TimeKeeper/level.dat"

Mac Singleplayer:
    The same instructions as above, but you must find and navigate to "Finder/Application Support/minecraft/saves", and unzip the map file into a new folder into this location.

Multiplayer Server:
    1) Download the .zip file onto your desktop (or anywhere you can find it again).
    2) Go into your minecraft server directory.
    3) Unzip the Time Keeper map zip file you downloaded earlier into a folder called "TimeKeeper" (for example), and place this folder into your server folder.
    4) Alter your "server.properties" file and set the "level-name=" setting to match the map folder name ("TimeKeeper") or whatever folder name you use. Alternatively, simply name the folder "world" and leave this setting blank in server.properties.
    5) Launch your server and connect!
    Recommended server.properties settings:
    Code:
    enable-command-block=true
    allow-nether=true
    difficulty=0
    hardcore=false
    force-gamemode=true
    gamemode=2
    spawn-animals=true
    spawn-npcs=false
    spawn-monsters=false
    view-distance=10
    pvp=true
    spawn-protection=0
    max-players=4
    announce-player-achievements=false

6: Map Creators:
    Mystery of the Time Keeper was designed and developed from scratch by myself Azzer, and Weeble. This is our first ever map. We've both played Minecraft on and off since 2010, but this is the first time we've ever tried to create something for other players. We've made heavy use of redstone and command blocks, and particularly using features only found in the latest Minecraft 1.8 snapshots that are designed for improving adventure mode. We would love to see people playing through our adventure on YouTube or elsewhere, so please feel free to use our map for your channel(s) - though a linkback to this thread somewhere in your video descriptions would certainly be appreciated!

We've also submitted our map to the Yogscast Reddit map Submissions here;
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Yogscastmaps...nd_new_custom/ if you want to comment/rate there too.

7: Changelog:
    v1.1
    * Fixed a couple of minor typos.
    * Removed random junk from many chests that people were stockpiling.
    * Modified a number of signs/instructions to avoid some confusion throughout.
    * Modified a couple of Tokens of Solving to make them (slightly) easier to find.
    * Wizard moved closer to house entrance for added visual effect.
    * Wizard removes the... "ingredient"... on completion.
    * Removed an erroneous extra Seeking Token from Bill's wheat field (the token is not in the field, but there *IS* a token at Bill's windmill...).
    * Made Ironbridge parkour easier in a couple of places.
    * Ironbridge parkour only needs 3 not 4 supports now.
    * Added signs to Dockmaster piers to clarify directions.
    * Modified the stairway "puzzle" after the water-tunnel boating area.
    * Exiting any of the three possible parkour areas throughout the map checks for creative/survival mode and sets you back to adventure mode, as some people forget to go back, or go back to survival by accident, after bypassing the parkour.
    * A few other very minor changes to generally make things easier to find/navigate to.
    v1.0
    * Original Release!
    Last edited by AzzerUK; 19th March 2014 at 03:29. Reason: Use latest snapshot!

Hey there, just wanted you to know that i made a playthrough of your adventure map and I really liked the way you used the new featues of the 1.8 snapshots (e.g. The wizard's house with relative teleporting) Here it is if you want to check it out:

Amazing, thank you very much, Minenaut! Glad you enjoyed it

This map is also now available on the Minecraft forums: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...e-time-keeper/
    Hope everyone's enjoying it!
    Last edited by Weeble; 3rd March 2014 at 20:24. Reason: fixing the link - derp

Been enjoying watch you play through our map, Minenaut, and glad you've been enjoying it!

Weeble's added your videos to a big YouTube playlist he's making of playthroughs on our maps here;
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...68tC8WAfnDeiAQ

Without giving any spoilers away - was really pleased at how quickly you did the abandoned house entry code. Have seen some people literally scratching their heads for 10 minutes trying to solve that, was worried we'd made the book too cryptic, you spotted it INSTANTLY!

Gamer IDs

Steam ID: falsesymmetry
    Hey again Azzer - Just thought i'd post the beginning of my playthrough here - Really enjoyable map and would recommend to anyone looking for an awesome Adventure Map

Thanks again!
    - false

Quote Originally Posted by falsesymmetry View Post
    Hey again Azzer - Just thought i'd post the beginning of my playthrough here - Really enjoyable map and would recommend to anyone looking for an awesome Adventure Map
    Thanks again!
    - false
    Awww, thank you for saying so! Also, great videos - really enjoyed your playthrough videos so far, looking forward to more!

Nice Map. I'll give it a go later and might get a playthrough recorded. It looks like its got a good story in it

Edit: Loved playing through the map. Definitely one of the best maps Ive played in a while. Our playthrough for anyone interested

Last edited by JoshLmao; 17th March 2014 at 10:10.

Nice trailer. Not had much time to play maps but if I get some time may give this a go.
    Build's look really good.

Also nice post, glad you spent some time on it. Makes a lot of difference, never been one to bother with the quick posts I have seen with other maps..

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLmao View Post
    Nice Map. I'll give it a go later and might get a playthrough recorded. It looks like its got a good story in it
    Looking forward to seeing it, be sure and send Weeble or myself your playthrough video, so Weeble can add you to our big youtube playlist!

Also just to let everybody know, we've just updated the map to v1.1 - you should be able to just replace any files (overwrite) and continue from where you already were (shouldn't need a map restart!) as all the changes are pretty minor, and really all relate to areas we've seen people get lost in/struggle with (eg parkour, directions to certain buildings etc.) when we've been watching playthroughs people have made. So, not an essential map update - there's been no game-stopping or game-breaking bugs anywhere in the first version at all.... but if you've only just started, worth getting the update just to make life easier in parts!

The Dropbox download link in the 1st post above is updated with the new version, and the full changelog is;

* Fixed a couple of minor typos.
    * Removed random junk from many chests that people were stockpiling.
    * Modified a number of signs/instructions to avoid some confusion throughout.
    * Modified a couple of Tokens of Solving to make them (slightly) easier to find.
    * Wizard moved closer to house entrance for added visual effect.
    * Wizard removes the... "ingredient"... on completion.
    * Removed an erroneous extra Seeking Token from Bill's wheat field (the token is not in the field, but there *IS* a token at Bill's windmill...).
    * Made Ironbridge parkour easier in a couple of places.
    * Ironbridge parkour only needs 3 not 4 supports now.
    * Added signs to Dockmaster piers to clarify directions.
    * Modified the stairway "puzzle" after the water-tunnel boating area.
    * Exiting any of the three possible parkour areas throughout the map checks for creative/survival mode and sets you back to adventure mode, as some people forget to go back, or go back to survival by accident, after bypassing the parkour.
    * A few other very minor changes to generally make things easier to find/navigate to.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PhatHamsterPro Steam ID: Jaderos
    I think I'm going to give this a go within the next few days with a friend

It looks really entertaining so I'm pretty excited to try it out! I'll let you know how it goes once we're finished!
    Last edited by Jaderos; 12th March 2014 at 14:09.
    I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread."

Twitter:: Forum Rules :: Risky Business