Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth

"Repeat a lie a thousnd times and it becomes the truth."

Does it means lie exist only temporary?

Quote Originally Posted by Straw-berry View Post
    "Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth."

This is a phrase/profound-saying which isn't literal. What it means is that the public/general populous believe what the majority of people believe.

So in other words if you lie/teach something false to enough people, then everyone will think that thing is true. A real example is the MMR vaccine fears in the UK. One doctor released a study which suggested the MMR vaccine would give children under a certain age autism. It turned out his research was incorrect and/or faked once it was peer reviewed, and he was barred from medicine etc. etc.

But because the news/media repeated/passed on his study and said it was fact before it could be peer reviewed, loads and loads of parents believed it to be true, and many children were never vaccinated against measles, mumps and rubella. This caused an outbreak in Wales recently, because even now some people still believe it. There is absolutely no danger in giving a child the MMR vaccine.

DISCLAIMER: The exact accuracy of my account of the MMR vaccine story is probably questionable as it's from memory, but that's the gist, check actual sources if you need to know the exact details.

Quote Originally Posted by AllBodies View Post
    This is a phrase/profound-saying which isn't literal. What it means is that the public/general populous believe what the majority of people believe.

So in other words if you lie/teach something false to enough people, then everyone will think that thing is true.
    That means lie never became truth, the phrase is false. Lie never will be truth. Lie can be true only from human perspective, but lie will still be a lie from different angle. Am I right?

What's with you and making these thought provoking threads?

well, first thing I thought was
    *cough* religion *cough*

And, I'm supposed to be religious!

Well, if enough people believe something to be true. Does that make other people start to question what they believe?

Quote Originally Posted by apayn View Post
    What's with you and making these thought provoking threads?
    What can I say? Abstract thinking entertains me ;-)

well, first thing I thought was
    *cough* religion *cough*
    Well... religions are fundamentals for many people, they decide what's true and what's false through religion prism. But I do not limit my thoughts to religion people. Every human on Earth have his own beliefs. We believe because we can't check every piece of information. And even if you check something, you can't always be sure of your jugment. I don't want to talk about religion because I know people on this forum doesn't really like this topic, so please, don't bring it to this topic.

Well, if enough people believe something to be true. Does that make other people start to question what they believe?
    Questioning the world is key to progress. We have to know what's the truth, and what's a lie. That's my opinion.
    Last edited by Straw-berry; 10th May 2013 at 22:50.

That means lie never became truth, the phrase is false. Lie never will be truth. Lie can be true only from human perspective, but lie will still be a lie from different angle. Am I right?
    Well yes, that's what I was trying to explain. The phrase is not literal, and what I explained is what it actually means.

It's a comment on what the majority of people think being essentially (but not actually) the truth, because of majorities/peer pressure, and that's what they'll act upon.

It's a comment on what the majority of people think being essentially (but not actually) the truth, because of majorities/peer pressure, and that's what they'll act upon.
    Pretty much this.
    It doesn't become truth, but those thousand people you told will believe it to be.

A lie is always a lie, it's just that people can be fooled into thinking otherwise if they hear it enough.

Well yes, that's what I was trying to explain. The phrase is not literal, and what I explained is what it actually means.

So tell me... If we can't verify something, how can we know it's true? How do we know what to believe? Maybe in the end it will be another lie?

So tell me... If we can't verify something, how can we know it's true? How do we know what to believe? Maybe in the end it will be another lie?
    We can't. We can believe in what we are told by others because they believe they have the answers.
    There is always the potential that what we know as true, will be proven false eventually.
    We just have to progress as far as we can with what we know, and then question it until we can advance further.

You can verify certain things, and if you can't it's a theory, idea or belief. Once you prove it, it becomes fact. These theories, ideas and beliefs are those times where we are asking "how can we know it's true".

Just because something that was previously held as fact turns out to be wrong, doesn't make it a lie. Corrections of previous "facts" are a step forward in understanding, they aren't always a negative thing, instead they are simply a rectification of a previous misunderstanding. Lies however are untruths used for the purpose of misdirection.

As for "How do we know what to believe?" That's up to you I'm afraid, you have to exercise your judgement like everyone else to figure out what you do believe and you don't, who or what you follow and how you do it, what you accept as fact and what you pass off as fiction.